June 16, 2010 — Contents

WEDNESDAY JUNE 16 CONTENTS

(1)  EDITORIAL:  Oh Holy Putin!

(2)  Putin Exposed and Humiliated

(3)  Olympian Fraud in Sochi

(4)  Russia:  Sick and Ignorant Forever!

(5)  Russia longs for the Soviet “Paradise”

(6)  Annals of Shamapova

NOTE:  LR publisher and founder Kim Zigfeld lets the venal and craven Barack Obama have it once again in her latest column on the mighty Pajamas Media blog, excoriating the U.S. leader for his manifest failure to confront neo-Soviet Russia.  Closing in on 100 comments already, be sure to drop by and give B.O. (how aptly initialed!) a piece of your mind.

12 responses to “June 16, 2010 — Contents

  1. Mukhmed Gazdiev’s 29-year-old son, Ibragim Gazdiev, was reportedly abducted by armed men in the Russian Republic of Ingushetia in 2007 and has not been seen since. His family believes that he is being or has been held in secret detention. Mukhmed Gazdiev relentlessly searches for his son and campaigns to raise awareness of alleged involvement of security forces in disappearances in Ingushetia.

    http://www.amnesty.org/en/worldcup2010/mukhmed-gazdiev-russia

    Mukhmed Gazdiev is a retired history teacher. Despite being elderly, disabled (he was born without both arms) and in poor health, he continues to search for his son. He has appealed to various officials in Ingushetia and in Moscow, including the then Russia’s President Vladimir Putin, former Ingushetian President Murat Ziazikov and current Ingushetian President Yunus-Bek Evkurov. In November 2007 Mukhmed Gazdiev said he was ill-treated during a demonstration he had helped to organize against human rights violations in Ingushetia. In May 2008, Federal Security Services conducted a search of his family home, reportedly with a search warrant issued for his neighbour’s house.

    Mukhmed Gazdiev calls on the international community to do everything possible to raise the issue of involvement of security forces in disappearances in Ingushetia.

    “When people lose their sons and daughters, they do everything in their power to find them. I appeal to the world… Do everything possible to raise this issue… Many people have gone missing… I am speaking on behalf of all people as well as for my own son.”- Mukhmed Gazdiev.

    Support Mukhmed Gazdiev achieve his goal.

  2. In the worst ethnic violence this Central Asia nation has seen in 20 years, marauding Kyrgyz gangs were last night accused of “committing genocide”, burning ethnic Uzbeks out of their homes and embarking on a three-day rampage of killing, which some human rights activists on the scene estimated has killed more than 500 people.

    Uzbekistan’s Emergencies Ministry said that more than 75,000 people – mainly women, children and the elderly – had fled across the border to escape the rampage of killing, which began in Kyrgyzstan’s second city of Osh and across the south to Jalalabad.

    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/kyrgyz-gangs-accused-of-genocide-as-death-toll-rises-1999652.html

    Kyrgyzstan’s interim authorities – in charge since former President Kurmanbek Bakiyev was deposed in violent riots in April – have appealed for the Russian Army to intervene and restore order in the south.

    Moscow yesterday sent a battalion of troops to the country to protect its Kant airbase in the north, but insisted that it would not intervene in what it described as an “internal matter”. The US – which also has a base in the north that is a crucial supply hub for troops in Afghanistan – called for the “immediate restoration of order”.

    At the Uzbek border, which had been closed since the April riots, there was chaos with long lines of people, some of whom had gunshot wounds, begging to be let across. The Emergencies Ministry said it was setting up refugee camps in several areas of Uzbekistan.

    • Kyrgyzstan drops foreign troops demand

      http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/n.php?n=kyrgyzstan-drops-foreign-troops-demand-2010-06-15

      Uzbekistan accepted tens of thousands of ethnic Uzbek refugees who crossed the border but has now shut the frontier, leaving thousands waiting to cross in desperate conditions, Agence France-Presse correspondents reported.

      “There is not a need to send peacekeeping forces,” Otunbayeva told a news conference. “We hope to deal with this situation with our own forces,” she added, saying the clashes were now “on the wane.”

      Otunbayeva had appealed to Russian President Dmitry Medvedev last weekend to send military forces, saying the situation in the south of the country was out of control. Russia turned down the Kyrgyz plea for troops, saying the violence is an internal issue.

      The Health Ministry on Tuesday said the death toll from the clashes had reached 171, with nearly 1,800 injured. Observers believe the real figures to be much higher, with communities burying bodies before the deaths had been registered. In addition, many Uzbek refugees arriving in Uzbekistan had gunshot wounds.

      The situation at the border crossing with Uzbekistan remained dire, with thousands waiting in the hope of being let over the barbed-wire border. But the Uzbek side was only allowing the occasional wounded person through.

  3. Russia may buy $12 billion of arms from NATO members

    http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/n.php?n=russia-may-buy-12-billion-of-arms-from-nato-members-2010-06-14

    (Iskander is not “air-defense batteries”.)

  4. Duma Backs Bill Empowering FSB

    http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/duma-backs-bill-empowering-fsb/408214.html

    Vladimir Gruzdev, a senior United Russia deputy, shrugged off concerns of human rights activists that the bill would legitimize the abuse of power by the FSB.

    “Only someone who is absolutely unaware of the specifics of the activities of state security agencies can talk about the impairment of rights,” Gruzdev said in a statement on his party’s web site.

    But he acknowledged that the bill must be amended before a second reading to ensure that it “would serve to prevent crime and not return us to 1937,” the worst year of Stalinist purges.

  5. The 12 billion of arms from nato members is just more big talk. There is no reason to believe Russia has the money to purchase anything. You have to make some money before you can just willy nilly go out and buy things

    • Francis Smyth-Beresford

      No reason except that Russia is the third-richest country on the planet in terms of cash reserves, after China and Japan. The U.S.A. is 18th. $12 Billion wouldn’t even make Russia break a sweat.

      The 4 MISTRALs aren’t necessarily a leap in technology Russia doesn’t have, as the article suggests, but a capability they no longer have. Their former Assault Carriers, MOSKVA and LENINGRAD, were retired ages ago and not replaced, but were at the time easily as good as the French ship of similar design, JEANNE D’ARC. The U.S.A. had the only purpose-built Assault Carriers, the TARAWA Class, and they’re still probably the best, even if not as modern as the MISTRAL. Americans, operating the largest carrier fleet, incorporated big-deck carrier technology into the TARAWAs that’s tough to beat.

      You have to do some reading before you can just willy nilly go out and say things.

      • @No reason except that Russia is the third-richest country on the planet in terms of cash reserves, after China and Japan.

        Do you seriously believe this?

        @$12 Billion wouldn’t even make Russia break a sweat.

        And that’s why almost everything in Russia is so SEVERELY underfunded, including the armed forces (of course military officers are funding themselves – by pocketing the money, and the rank-and-files are funding themselves by looting whenever they have chance).

        “Almost”, because this is with the exception of “the elite” (the mafia) and their various idiotic “prestige” projects in the style of Sochi olympics disaster or this huge bridge to a tiny island.

  6. Is it true that since Russia needs a great navy that they have been working on a submarine for 17 years. I think it is about to be launched.

  7. The Americans then must be dumber than Obama if they elected him.

  8. THE SCOTSMAN

    Submarine that took 17 years to build finally makes it into the sea.

    Date: 16 June 2010

    RUSSIA has finally launched a nuclear-powered attack submarine that took 17 years to build due to funding shortages…

    President Dmitry Medvedev said the Severodvinsk should “increase our military might and our naval potential, and strengthen Russia’s position in the world’s oceans”.

    He told the launch ceremony in the White Sea port that shares the vessel’s name: “Russia simply must modernise its navy, we must build the most modern ships.”

    Analysts said the launch of the Severodvinsk, the first in a new class of submarines, was a step in that direction, but warned the vessel was not complete and still faced tests.

    “Putting it in water does not show that it is ready,” said Konstantin Makiyenko…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s